Pages

Dec 23, 2011

CT & MRI

Just a quick note about our day yesterday.  Jason had his CT scan and his MRI yesterday. We were to be there by 1:15 and testing would start at 1:30.  First issue....the girl who helped with our preregistration  told us the wrong place!  We went to the main Bethesda North building when we needed to go one of the outer buildings.  Not a big deal but after running from the parking lot to the building in the pouring rain then having to run back, put me in an off mood!

We got to the correct building and they took him back fairly quick, I guess because we got there JUST in time!  I had no clue that the tests would take THAT long!  I sat in the waiting room listening to people complain about so much!  One lady was there for a 5 minute test and they were running an hour behind because 1 of the machines broke down and they had to fix it. She complained NONSTOP! She complained about her wait, that HER test only takes 5 minutes and that they were taking other people back before her.  That was when the receptionist told her not everyone is having the same tests with the same machines.  Listening to her made the time drag on and on!  Then to top it off around 3:00 Faith calls me crying because the boys were being mean to her!  This is exactly what I wanted to deal with while sitting with a massive headache!  I talked to Noah and smoothed it all out.  It was about 3:30 when Jason came out and then we waited for another 15 minutes for the disk.  We have to take that to the PET scan on Tuesday.

Now through out the night and this morning I got more and more details from Jason about his scans.  The CT scan was only like 15 minutes, the MRI was an hour long!  They loaded him full of dye and something else that the nurse told him he will feel like he peed himself.  He said it did feel that way and he had to double check when he got up that he did not!  Ha Ha   The MRI was hard for him because you can't move....as soon as someone tells you  not to move you get that horrible itch on your nose....He got that itch but had to leave it be FOR AN HOUR!  They let him listen to music of his choice to he chose ESPN talk radio. (snooze)  Now, this morning while we lay in bed with Radar he told me another story.  When entering the MRI room he said he got a little freaked out...the door was vacuum sealed like a walk in freezer and he said he immediately felt like he was in the movie "The Fly".  I don't remember enough of that movie to picture the scene he is talking about, but it was funny that he could pick a movie out to describe his experience!

Now we have 4 days off of cancer related crap.  Today he went in to work to check on some workers, tomorrow is Christmas Eve and we will go to my moms and then Sunday is Christmas Day!  Tuesday will be a great day for Jason because his brother Mike and his wife Juli will be coming in town from Texas.  We only get to see them about once a year and it never feels like it's a long enough visit!  Next week is packed with visits, but it will be nice to have a distraction when we get home.  Next weeks schedule is like so....Tuesday is the PET scan, Wednesday we go back to the radiologist and have his mask and mouth piece built, Thursday is a day off and then Friday we meet yet another doctor, the ENT.

Jason is so ready to get started!  He is very happy that he knows this is a curable cancer and that he will be fine, but he is worrying about the treatment and how he will feel.  He is also concerned with the family issues of it, how the kids will react, working etc.  I have told him once and I will tell him over and over again, I will love him no matter what and we will pull through this!  If they have to do surgery and he looses part or most of his tongue...I will love him just the same!  I can't wait to get treatment over with and see my husbands smile again...a genuine smile, not one he puts on to make everyone else feel better!

A few years ago I heard a mother on the John Edward show say the following phrase "Always Blessing, Never Losses".  She lost her 4 year old son to terminal illness and she would use that phrase to help her get through her day.  To this day I think of it often and try to find the positive in everything.  Yes it SUCKS that my husband has cancer, there are many things we can dwell on that are negative....but there are so many positive thing too - he stopped smoking, he realizes he has to take his health much more serious, he looks at his life differently and there are so many more positives to come.  He is ready to "Kick cancers Ass" and so am I!  As horrible as this is, it will make us stronger!  It will build us as individuals and as a couple and family.  Once we conquer this hurdle NOTHING can stand in our way!  I could sit home and cry all day and night and have a poor Jaime party.....but what will that accomplish other than bloodshot eyes and a massive headache?  NOTHING!  So I put my big girl panties on, I become the rock that my husband needs, I make him laugh when he is crying and I hold him when he needs comfort!  Many have asked if I broke down yet...the answer is no.  I don't have time to break down, nor do I want to!  I want to keep busy, maintain as much normalcy to my families life as I can and move forward!  I'm thankful that my husband is a strong amazing man who will come out on top of this!  I'm thankful for all the amazing family, friends and doctors we have in our lives!  And I am thankful for the mother of that young boy who gave me 4 words to live my life by!

ALWAYS BLESSINGS, NEVER LOSSES!

I'm going to try to embed a link to a song about this amazing woman and her 4 words.  The mother was on the John Edward show and he asked a friend who is a singer to make a song about it.  It's very beautiful, I hope you enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. If he hates MRI's have the nurse make a eye/sleep mask of those round cotton "make up pads". Then pretend he is under the body of the coolest muscle car he has ever desired (Corvette/NASCAR/Pontiac) Steve hated those tests yet when I pointed out he spent Hours under his souped-up Firebird with his nose thisclose to the engine it naver fazed him in the least! Worked for me too when I got my shoulder MRIed. Good luck Kiddos! MaryEileen and Oakleigh

    ReplyDelete