Pages

Jan 14, 2012

First Day of Chemo.....

Yesterday was our first day of chemo.  We were the first in the center...actually got there before much of the staff! They took Jason's vitals and we got to meet with Dr Chua.  She said we should start using the feeding tube every day now.  After a quick visit with her we headed to the lab.  We got a new nurse who's name was Beth, normally we have Megan.  (Megan stayed close though!)  They started giving Jason all his pre-meds before they give the chemo.

I had an 11:00 chiropractor appointment so I ran to that while he hung out with the nurses.  On the way back I grabbed him a small 3 way and he scarfed it!  Not long after I came they took him to the bed and started his pre-radiation fluids.  The fluids that help protect his saliva glands.  He has become a pro at this and his vitals are still great while they give him the drug. (BP can bottom out with this drug)  While he was on the bed I met a nice lady about our age sitting next to me.  Her name is Michelle and she has breast cancer.  We compared stories and found that she will be on chemo every 3 weeks so we were excited to see each other again!

Heading to radiation I was unsure of what to expect!  Every day is a new adventure there!  We got there early and Jason and I sat together on the bed in the hall.  He even got to play Hall monitor...MY JOB!  Thursday I was named hall monitor since I was  all knowing of where people were!  Let me start with this...it's never a dull moment when Dr Gerson and I are together!  Once she found that we have a great sense of humor she ran with it!  THIS day, she sat next to me on the bed....it was Dr Gerson, me and then Jason.  She turns to me in a hush tone and says..."ready to do the radiation wave???"  She went first with me following and Jason pulling up the rear!  It worked once and she had to call other over to watch us!  They went through many names for our wave ending with the head nurse saying it was the "Micro-wave".  Ole radiation humor at it's best!  While Jason was getting loaded with his radiation Linn came to talk to me. Linn is the brains in the group.  He does all the fittings and settings for radiation.  We talked about Jason, about family and then Dr Gerson came over!  I love this woman!!!  She said he needed to show me his special trick....I was intrigued!  He had to go do something and Dr Gerson told me he has an AMAZING talent!  She said they can be standing having a team huddle and be all serious and Linn will jump from where is is standing and can land on the counter top!!!  I can't wait to see this!  I think she is going to have him do it next Friday for the kids.  They are off school so I thought I would take them with us so they can see everything.  The radiologist team said they would give the kids a tour of the room!  Dr Gerson is very excited to see the kids....when I told her they were coming she yelled "YEAH!  And I can play with them???"  I LOVE THIS WOMAN! The photos below are of the mask that Jason wears for every treatment.  Looks like something out of a scary movie!!



After he came out we did vitals and headed back to the lab for CHEMO!  This time we started talking to a guy in the corner of the room.  He was in a very similar situation as Jason.  He has the same type of cancer but his was found in the glands in the back of his mouth. They tried to remove them but did not get rid of it so now he is doing the same treatment as Jason with one slight difference.  He is getting his chemo for 3 weeks straight rather than 3 weeks apart like ours.  He is on the same chemo and goes to radiation too.  It was nice for Jason to have someone to talk to that is further along in the process.  He told him about cream for his face and that he really does not feel that bad!  We will see him next Friday also.  The nurses at the lab are so great!  Fay is an older lady who has more energy than my entire family combined! I think I found her fuel though!  She had me open no kidding like 16 creamer packets into her coffee cup!  I had to have fun with this to on the side I wrote...."Fay's creamer with coffee".  She LOVED it!

We were finished at about 5:00 and headed for home.  LONG day!  About 7pm Jason started to feel very sick!  It ended up being a long night of switching between the 2 nausea meds they gave him.  Once he gets them in he feels pretty good, but until they start working it's rough!  I think we will ask for a different medicine....Megan was telling us about it yesterday at chemo. Jason wants to get out of the house today so after my hair appointment I think I will take him out for a bit.  I told him I have to go buy his bubble first!  :)

FIRST WEEK OF CANCER TREATMENT DOWN!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment