Pages

Jan 11, 2012

Radiation time!!!

The last 2 days have been so busy that I have to really think while posting this blog!  I hope I don't bounce around too much......

Tuesday was our first radiation appointment!!  I have learned one very important detail in cancer treatment....just when you think you know what is going on and have a set schedule.....YOU DON'T!  We were told the day before that we had to come in early because they wanted to give Jason an injection to try to prevent remnant damage to his saliva glands.  We got to the Radiology dept and when Jason's nurse saw us she said we have to go to the oncology side for the injection, so we packed up and headed across the hall!  We went back and they showed us around and told us all about the injection.  They would give him a saline drip with  anti-nausea meds.  Then they moved him to a bed that can be inverted because this injection can cause a massive drop in blood pressure and if he drops they can help regulate him by flipping him upside down.  They checked his vitals every few minutes and he stayed steady!  Apparently we were running a little behind because Bonnie had to keep coming over to rush the girls!  They are BIG about staying on schedule!!  When he was finished with the meds they wheeled him over to radiology for his first treatment.  This first one took a little longer as they had to double check his settings.  Jason's nurse Bonnie hung out with me and she really is an amazing woman!  Once we were done, we headed for home!  Jason felt pretty good after his first treatment, he was tired but felt ok.  The photo below is one I got while sitting outside of the radiology room.


Today we got to Oncology at 11:00am.  Tomorrow we will go at 11:30....we were a little early!  There was another small delay as they devised the plan...this is not a treatment they do often so it is new to many of the nurses!  I have to say they handle it like CHAMPS!  Jason's vitals once again stayed solid and he headed over for his second radiation treatment.  One of the nurses tried to move him and pushed a bit to close to his G tube which caused him some pain.  I told him from now on no matter where he is, or what he is doing he MUST tell them he has that!  I also said I would have a shirt made with a red button on it that said "DON'T push my button". Once they were done they let me go in and see the room! I think I will ask tomorrow if I can go again and get a photo.  I like to grab as many photos as I can so that the kids can see what is going on.  On the way out we ran into Dr Gerson...I love this woman!  She was asking how he was feeling and how the injections were, then she started to pet him like a dog!  HA HA

We start chemo on Friday and that will be a packed day!  We have to be there by 7:45am to start the bag at 8:00am and have radiation as scheduled at 1:20pm.  I'm thinking I will ditch him and go to the chiropractor while he gets his bag and then go back!

We have yet another surgery on Tuesday.  He will have his "super port" placed early that morning and then head to radiation that afternoon.  The port is medical appliance that is installed beneath the skin.  A catheter connects the port to a vein.  Under the skin the port has a septum through which drugs can be injected and blood samples can be drawn many times, usually with less discomfort to the patient than regular needle sticks.  This will be placed on his chest just under his collar bone.  Below is a photo of what will be placed in his chest.

Faith and Austin have both been in to talk with the school councilor and I contacted one of Noah's teachers to see if he would talk to Noah.  I just want the kids to know they have people other than the ones around them all the time to talk to.  As for me...I started a slight melt down today but I think I pulled out well.  It can be overwhelming when looking at all I have to do day to day!  This is my life for the next 9 or so weeks and I might as well get used to it!  Noah has been stepping up and really helping me out!  He has been asking if he can start cooking dinner so we have been working on learning how to make certain meals.  he also has learned how to do laundry and is helping with that!  He has his teenage moments and that is ok!

Enough typing....time to clean up dinner and do some laundry!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Hold strong, everything will be great! You guys are a great family and jason has god by his side. I will keep you all in my heart and pray for the sake of your jason and the family

    ReplyDelete